Club History

Club Timeline

1931 Original founding of Hamburg AWC.

1935 First mention of having joined FAWCO.

1938 Hosted the eighth FAWCO Conference

1939 Club disbanded when all Americans were sent home due to the war.

1956 Founded as the American Women's Luncheon Club (this is considered to be the official date of founding. No bulletin or newsletter, only a mailed announcement of Luncheon time and place. Name of club changed later to the American Women's Club of Hamburg.

1965 Earliest known newsletter is published.

1976 Rejoined FAWCO.

1985 Club becomes an eingetragener Verein (eV), officially registered as a non-profit organization in Hamburg.

1986 Club becomes a member of Arbeitsgemeinschaft Hamburger Frauenorganisationen (Federation of Women's Clubs in Hamburg).

1992 Currents magazine is born. FAWCO regional meeting is hosted by AWCH.

2016 AWCH celebrates ist 60th anniversary with events throughout the year and a GALA celebration with members, friends and partners.